Project QUEST’s strategy involves the following components: Identification of demand occupations, outreach, recruitment, comprehensive applicant assessment, academic enhancement, occupational or customized skills training, case management, work readiness training, support services, and transition to employment services. Participants receive their occupational training from accredited institutions including the Alamo Colleges, University of Texas Health Science Center, the Baptist School of Health Professions, and Rackspace Open Cloud Academy.
- In-demand occupations are identified in collaboration with Workforce Solutions Alamo, the City of San Antonio and Bexar County Economic Development Departments, and local business leaders.
- Outreach and recruitment are ongoing. Information is distributed through churches, libraries, public schools, and community organizations.
- Applicants receive a two-phase assessment to determine their training readiness: one for academic skill level and the other to establish career suitability.
- Academic enhancement is available through QUEST Prep for individuals whose test scores are below college level.
- Occupational training programs are one to two years in length in driver industries. All training and placement efforts are linked to specific employment sectors with promising wage advancement potential. Project QUEST supports training in Healthcare and Bioscience, Information Technology/Security, Aerospace, Energy, and Manufacturing.
- Case management is provided to all Project QUEST participants and includes guidance and career counseling, weekly VIP (Vision, Initiative, and Perseverance) meetings, support services, and other relevant assistance.
- Work Readiness Skills training is provided by the career advisors during the weekly VIP meetings. Topics included are time management, stress management, goal setting, financial planning, ethics, morals, and values, motivation, self-esteem, and transition to employment.
- Support services such as childcare, transportation allowances, and utility assistance are vital elements of Project QUEST’s support and are available to participants so they can focus on their training activities.
- Job search and placement assistance is offered to participants through coordination with established employer partners upon completion of training.
Project outcomes include graduation from an accredited institution of higher learning and job placement in high wage, high demand careers.